On the 60th anniversary of the Battle of Long Tan, a bitter political revolt erupted at Parliament House as outraged veterans publicly demanded Prime Minister Anthony Albanese sack Veterans' Affairs Minister Matt Keogh. What began as a refused meeting request ended in a reluctant 5.30pm meeting where Keogh was accused of body language dismissiveness while discussing veteran suicide, forcing him into a humiliating parliamentary admission that he got it wrong.

This article examines the high stakes showdown over Labor's controversial $5,000 annual cap on allied health care, detailing the $779 million budget cuts, the mounting accusations of ministerial contempt, and the political fallout threatening Keogh’s cabinet career.

Veterans Say Keogh Rolled His Eyes and Refused Handshakes: A Minister Accused of Contempt

Tim Nelson, a former RAAF fighter pilot turned GP, delivered a blistering assessment of the minister's conduct, saying Matt Keogh made his reluctance blatantly clear the moment he walked into the room.

"Minister Keogh was forced to have a meeting with us at 5.30pm. It was obvious he did not want to be there," Dr Nelson said. "He even let us know that he was missing an appointment with the Governor-General, which he was very upset about."

According to Dr Nelson, the disrespect only escalated from there.

"He walked into the room, refused to shake our hand, sat down with his arms crossed and rolled his eyes."

The human toll of the policy is already catastrophic, Dr Nelson told reporters, saying four veterans have taken their own lives since the funding limit was unveiled. Declaring that the advocacy group has zero confidence in the Department of Veterans' Affairs, he insisted the cap "needs to be scrapped".

Keogh hit back in parliament on Tuesday, flatly rejecting the claim that he refused to greet the delegation. He claimed during Question Time that he urged the group to relax so he could listen to their concerns, adding that he "shook the hands of the people as we finished the meeting".

While defending his conduct inside the room, the minister was forced into a rare public retreat over his initial refusal to grant them an audience.

"I acknowledge that I got it wrong in not agreeing to meet with them last week when that initial request came in. I own that," he told parliament.

The Australian reported government sources could not clarify whether Keogh personally complained about missing Sam Mostyn's official event at Government House, though his staff explicitly informed the veterans he was skipping the reception to be in the room.

"His Position Is No Longer Tenable": Bereaved Mother and Special Forces Veteran Blast Minister

Holding a photo of her late son David, a Royal Australian Navy petty officer who died by suicide in 2019, campaigner Julie-Ann Finney unleashed a scathing attack on Matt Keogh at Parliament House. Finney, whose tireless advocacy forced the creation of the Royal Commission into Defence and Veteran Suicide, accused the minister of systemic disrespect and psychological manipulation.

"They're being put down and I'm here to call out the minister, to call him out for gaslighting me, for treating me with contempt. His position is no longer tenable," she said.

Warning that Keogh's actions actively undermine military recruitment and morale, she raised a blistering challenge to the government.

"Why would anybody want to join the ADF with him as the Minister for Defence Personnel and the Minister of Veterans? He doesn't care about them," she said, adding that veterans "just think he hates them".

Turning her focus past the minister, Finney addressed Anthony Albanese directly, demanding Keogh's immediate removal and insisting the Prime Minister meet face to face with the delegation.

"You promised me in opposition that you would look after veterans. You are failing us," she said.

While government sources insisted to reporters that Keogh maintains regular contact with Ms Finney, the anger on the ground was reinforced by seasoned military figures.

Andrew "Horse" Hudson, a Special Forces veteran with 22 years of service, said Monday's tense session confirmed the policy was built on complete miscalculation.

"It was established, when we finally did get to meet him yesterday, that the decision to implement the cap is based upon flawed information," he said. "And no consideration was given to the impact upon the veteran community. As you already heard, it's already started to take lives and it's not even in place yet."

A $779 Million Cost Cutting Exercise Targeting the Most Vulnerable

First unveiled in the May budget, the Albanese government's controversial measure imposes an annual $5,000 threshold on each veteran's allied health spending. While the administration framed the policy as a way to "help limit unnecessary over servicing, while still supporting veterans whose care needs go beyond the threshold where this is clinically indicated", departmental officials dropped a bombshell at Senate Estimates in June. They conceded there has never been a cap on veterans' allied health in Australian history, acknowledging the move will extract close to $779 million from the portfolio over four years before kicking in on 1 July 2027.

The political betrayal runs deep, even among the party's own ranks. Donna Manton, a lifelong Labor supporter and survivor of sexual assault in Defence, admitted at Parliament House that she was "heart sick" to be publicly condemning her own party.

"This cap, which the minister says will only affect 25,000 people, is going to affect the most vulnerable 25,000 people. The people who are in acute need of allied health, or the people who have chronic health problems and need that long term care to keep their quality of life," she said, issuing a chilling warning that the policy "is going to cost lives".

Laying down a direct ultimatum to the administration, Navy veteran David Armfield outlined the coalition's core demands during an appearance on News24:

  • Scrap the $5,000 annual cap on allied health services immediately
  • End what he described as the systematic low balling of veterans and the allied health professionals who treat them
  • Fix a claims system he condemned as "unfit for service" and fundamentally failing personnel transitioning out of the ADF
WhenWhat happened
Last weekKeogh declines the Coalition of Veterans' Voices' request for a meeting
MondayVeterans stage a silent protest in the public gallery and the Coalition moves to censure Keogh, who agrees to meet the group at 5.30pm
Tuesday morningThe group calls for his sacking at a press conference on Vietnam Veterans' Day
Tuesday question timeKeogh tells parliament he got it wrong and owns the refusal to meet
Tuesday afternoonThe group is invited to meet Albanese's advisers, who commit to look into scrapping the cap

"No Service Delivery Capacity": Senate Grillings Exposed Systemic Failures

Long before parliament house protests erupted, One Nation leader Pauline Hanson was dissecting the policy at a tense Senate Estimates hearing on 3 June, exposing a department in complete disarray. During the proceedings, Hanson read out the harrowing account of a suicidal veteran holding a Gold Card who was shuttled between three separate Brisbane hospitals overnight, only to be turned away by every single one. When pressed on where a veteran in acute crisis should turn, departmental officials had no answer beyond telling them to call triple zero. In a damning admission, the secretary of the Department of Veterans' Affairs conceded to the committee that the agency has "no service delivery capacity".

Hanson delivered a scathing assessment of the government's priorities, highlighting the tragic reality facing former personnel across Australia.

"The hard truth is this, we are losing more veterans to suicide at home during peacetime than we've lost in many of our overseas conflicts. That should shame every level of government," Hanson told the hearing.

One Nation has waged a relentless campaign against the $5,000 threshold since its budget announcement, declaring on its official platform that Labor's healthcare slashes represent an unforgivable betrayal of those who wore the uniform.

"He Should Be Removed Tonight": Coalition Figures Join Calls for Immediate Dismissal

The political backlash reached a fever pitch as decorated combat veteran and Shadow Minister for Defence Personnel Phil Thompson led a furious assault on Matt Keogh's leadership. Thompson, who was wounded in Afghanistan and awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia for his welfare work, previously copped a 24-hour suspension from the House for calling Anthony Albanese a liar over this very cap. Speaking to News24's Peta Credlin on Tuesday night, Thompson declared that the minister's credibility is completely shot.

"I, and every other veteran I have spoken to, have lost faith in his ability to support us as veterans, to put us first," Thompson said. "He is nothing more than a party man, and he should be removed from this position tonight."

Earlier on News24 with Andrew Clennell, Thompson delivered a devastating assessment of Keogh's track record in government, stating bluntly, "I don't think that he has got the betterment of veterans at his heart."

Standing shoulder to shoulder with Coalition colleagues at Parliament House, Nationals leader Matt Canavan tore into the minister's priorities, highlighting the stark contrast between Keogh's official engagements and the crisis unfolding in his portfolio. Canavan told reporters he couldn't "fathom how the Minister for Veterans' Affairs would prioritise drinks with the Governor-General over meeting veterans who are suffering in his portfolio".

Handshakes Without Substance: Albanese Hides Behind Advisers As Keogh Retains His Spot

While his minister dodged accountability, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese performed a hollow exercise in damage control, greeting the delegation in the corridors of Parliament House and offering handshakes his own minister had allegedly refused. Yet, when it came to real leadership, the Prime Minister backed away. Rather than granting the desperate veterans a face to face audience himself, Albanese palmed them off with an invitation to meet his political advisers, who committed to look into scrapping the cap, and the delegation went home without a meeting with the Prime Minister locked in. Showing the full extent of his weak stance on ministerial standards, Albanese did not even bother to personally vote against the Coalition's motion to censure Keogh on Monday.

Defiant to the end, Keogh released a statement insisting the government's priority remains high quality care, pointing out that "the date for the implementation of these reforms is still ten months away, allowing time to ensure we get it right".

Despite the public outrage, the harrowing accounts of veteran suicide, and the total collapse of confidence in his minister, Albanese continues to shield Keogh. The government has offered zero indication it will back down on the budget slashes, leaving a disgraced minister in his post and veterans completely abandoned.